Australian Josh Taylor dies after being buried beneath sand

Australian Josh Taylor has died five days after being buried in a five-foot-deep sandpit dug to roast a pig on a remote beach.

The 23-year-old died on Thursday at Princess Alexandra Hospital after being taken off life support by his family.

“He fought tooth and nail and is the bravest man we know,” Taylor's family said in a statement.

“Unfortunately, the injuries he sustained were too severe for him to overcome.”

Taylor was hailed as “the best son, brother, boyfriend and spouse we could all wish for” and will be “missed every minute of every day”.

Taylor was spending time with friends at Bribie Island, a popular campground north of Brisbane, on Saturday afternoon when he fell head first into a sand pit.

Authorities are still investigating and “believe there may be a number of people who were at the scene and have not yet spoken to police.”

Josh Taylor, 23, died in an Australian hospital on Thursday, just days after being buried under five feet of sand. Facebook
Ms Taylor was at the beach on Brisbane's Brisbane Island on Saturday when she fell head first into a sand pit. nine news

The man who helped exhume Taylor He told local media 7 News. The hole had been prepared for cooking pigs.

“He got up from his chair and there was some sand under him,” said the witness, identified only as Nathan.

“He stumbled backwards. He obviously put his arm out to stop himself from falling, but he kept going down with his arm out, knocking the sand off him,” the witness added. “He was so deep in the hole that you couldn't even see his feet unless you were standing over the hole.”

It took 15 people to pull the 23-year-old boy from the beach using ropes tied to his legs, but it appears more people were injured in the rescue efforts.

It took 15 people to pull Taylor from the sand, but he had no pulse. nine news
Taylor was airlifted by helicopter to Princess Alexandra Hospital in a critical condition. nine news

“It was pretty bad when he jumped out. I threw up,” Nathan said.

Wildlife officers performed CPR on the victim, then paramedics arrived and took over lifesaving measures.

He was then airlifted by helicopter to a hospital in critical condition.

Taylor's family said life support had to be removed due to the severity of his injuries. gofundme

Taylor reportedly had no pulse for 45 minutes before being resuscitated.

A GoFundMe campaign created on behalf of Taylor's parents describes her as “a vibrant and adventurous person who brought so much joy to those around her.”

The fundraiser had raised more than $68,000 to support the family as of Friday.



Sign up to stay informed to breaking news