An Australian teenager was fatally bitten by a poisonous blue octopus hidden inside a shell he scooped from the ocean to show his niece.
Jacob Egginton, 18, was bitten by a particularly poisonous octopus while swimming and looking for shells at Perth’s Shoalwater Beach.
The boy didn’t realize he had been bitten until he showed the shell to his niece, alerting her to the beast before it could harm her as well.
“As soon as he saw the octopus, he screamed. He picked up the baby.” His brother Joshua told 7News Perth. “This is one of the most traumatic thoughts when you think about what happened.”
After discovering the palm-sized creature, Egginton examined his foot and discovered a painless bite. This saved Mr Egginton’s life as he needed immediate medical attention.
The blue-green octopus is a highly poisonous animal with no cure, and it took doctors six hours to stabilize the teenage octopus as he was carried off the beach on a stretcher. According to experts, a bite from these creatures can kill a person within 30 minutes.
This animal is often spotted on Perth’s beaches.
Experts recommend that beachgoers avoid entering the ocean without reef shoes and always remain vigilant, as reef creatures are good at camouflaging themselves.
Octopuses use their venom to kill their prey in search of food.
They live in the Pacific and Indian oceans, usually near coral reefs. National Museum of History.
This creature only shows off its blue ring when it feels threatened.
The blue octopus is small, less than 5 inches long.