First on FOX: A group of parents are urging the Trump administration to “make American children a top priority” as a deadline to sign a contract to save Tiktok looms.
“Tiktok is a breeding ground for harmful content and exposes children to videos that promote self-harm, eating disorders and dangerous so-called virus challenges,” Marre, executive director of the American Parents Coalition, said in a letter sent to Vice President JD Vance on Wednesday morning.
Mare writes that the Chinese-owned platform, which has an April 5 deadline for American buyers to take over the company, regularly promotes “gender and sexuality content for minors” and suicidal thoughts.
'Better Deal Maker': Trump is reportedly considering an executive order to “save” Tiktok
The American Parents Union has written a letter urging Trump administrators to consider the safety of children in the negotiations of Tiktok. The deadline for the administration to enter into the contract is April 5th. (Getty Images)
“This is no coincidence. The Tiktok design is intentional. The Chinese-owned algorithm is used to put children at risk. The Tiktok algorithm feeds vulnerable minds by feeding a stable flow of toxic content. “On the decline day of negotiations, we ask that this app ensure that it has no relation to our country's main enemies. We cannot allow the enemy to have similar power to combining all children's television shows. Tiktok cannot be owned, controlled or affected by foreign enemies.
After an app blackout that lasted about 14 hours a few days before his appointment, Trump said he would “save Tiktok” through negotiations with American buyers. So far, several well-known groups have been competing for the purchase of Tiktok's US business, including former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, investor Kevin O'Leary, and a consortium featuring influencer Jimmy Donaldson, known as “Mrbeast,” and employer presenter Jesse Tinsley.
Hospital warned that children must be protected from chemical and surgical amputations: HHS Agency Notes
President Donald Trump opposed the 2024 Tiktok ban, a reversal of his previous support for the ban. (istock)
AI company Perplexity has also expressed interest. Tiktok's current US tech partner Oracle is also considered a top candidate. Bytedance reportedly could hold Tiktok's shares, with further investments from US investors such as General and Susquehanna.
A bipartisan 2024 law removed Tiktok for nine months from its Chinese parent company, or from its ordinances, or from US-based app stores and hosting services. The Supreme Court considered the ban on January 17th, two days before the deadline, and refused to break the law as unconstitutional.
Trump's lawyers filed Amicas briefs in the December case, Improving the Supreme Court The ban will be delayed until Trump takes office. The court did not do so, so Trump later issued a 75-day delay to enforce the inauguration day ban. That delay expires at the end of Saturday.
Of the potential sale of Tiktok, Trump on Sunday said he had “we have many potential buyers.”
“I have a great interest in Tiktok,” he told reporters. “This decision will be my decision. I hope Tiktok will continue to live.”
Trump's push to save Tiktok has been in conflict with many of his own party in recent years, who have introduced legislation seeking to ban apps on national security concerns.
The Supreme Court seems skeptical of us banning Tiktok: What do you know?
President Trump is optimistic about selling Tiktok, which will allow the platform to continue operating in the US (Getty Images)
The social media app has around 170 million active American users, the company reported.
Click here to get the Fox News app
Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House and Tiktok for comment.
Jamie Joseph is a US political reporter for Fox News Digital, covering transgender and cultural issues, the departments of education, health and welfare, and state legislative development.