The family of a Colorado grandfather who was senselessly shot to death last month for blocking the path of a city bus is perplexed by the alleged teenage killer’s youth and demands he be tried as an adult. are doing.
Richard Sanchez’s daughter, Crystal, said: “It was heartbreaking to know that there were boys with guns. It was unbelievable.” fox 31 Wednesday about asking the age of her father’s murder suspect.
Sanchez, 60, was shot and killed on January 27 after an altercation with a 13-year-old suspect on a Denver RTD bus.
Police believe the argument between the murder suspect and Mr. Sanchez began over an elderly man who blocked an aisle with his foot.
The shooting occurred around 6:41 p.m. at the intersection of South Federal Boulevard and West Mississippi Avenue, about five miles from the Denver Broncos’ stadium, Empower Field at Mile High.
Police arrested the boy on February 1, less than a week after the callous killing.
His name has been withheld due to his age.
The Denver District Attorney’s Office said the boy, who was originally charged as a juvenile, is expected to be formally charged with murder this week. inside edition.
Sanchez was shot and killed just blocks from his home, and his family is still coming to terms with his death.
“How could he do this without anyone knowing? And he looked like an old man, more than a foot in the aisle. He wasn’t very old, but he was about 60 years old– He was a grandpa,” Crystal Sanchez said.
The grandfather’s family wasn’t told he had been killed until they went to report him missing and were told he had been shot and died at the hospital.
“It was hard to clear my head,” Sanchez’s other daughter, Miranda, told FOX 31.
“Everything in the house reminds me of him. You know, looking out the window and opening the curtains. It’s just the little things,” Crystal Sanchez said.
The daughters have vowed to ensure that the 13-year-old boy accused of murdering their father is tried as an adult.
“We’re going to fight for it,” Crystal Sanchez told the outlet.
“I don’t know if we’re going to get that, but that’s what our family wants and we want justice for our father because he doesn’t deserve to go out like this. That’s why.”
According to RTD records shared by , at least 178 passengers reported assaults or injuries while using RTD transit in 2021 and the first two months of 2022. fox 31.