California Senator Carl DeMaio appeared on Fox Business on Friday, where he called on the Trump administration to conduct an immediate audit of Democrat Gavin Newsom's Medicaid policy.
On Monday, Newsom requested an additional state loan totaling $6.2 billion to cover Medi-Cal costs, refusing to terminate medical care funded by illegal immigrants, despite the budget shortage. When it appeared in “The Botton Line,” Newsom said last week that the Medi-Cal program was in bankruptcy and was struggling to pay hospitals, doctors and other healthcare providers. Demaio said there is no money for the program.
“It's broken. It's insolvent. They can't pay hospitals, doctors, nurses, or healthcare providers. That means providing free medical care to illegal immigrants puts the security of health insurance at risk for the poorest of us,” DeMaio said. “The kids, the elderly, others who can't afford it are threatened by their health insurance because we handed out stores to illegal immigrants, and that needs to be stopped.
Demaio detailed what he said was a serious financial mismanagement and policy that not only wastes taxpayer money, but also puts the health of California's most vulnerable groups at risk.
clock:
“Every time we see this crazy policy, it's offensive, reckless, and it really puts the health security of the poorest of us at risk. A year ago, Gavin Newsom said, “Let's give illustrious ideas, free health care to illegal immigrants,” DeMaio said. “It's really this, because when people are in the health system, there's no real big incentive for them to graduate from it, so they say it's already $6 billion, and now they say it's $10 billion.
The policy encourages illegal immigration by providing free medical care as lures, Demaio said. He also criticized the state government for misleading its public about federal rebates for these costs, and instead puts a significant burden on the California General Fund. (Related: Gavin Newsom invites the only guest on a podcast that can make him look cool)
“My constituents of my district. If they want a bronze plan under Obamacare for a family of four, that's $16,000 a year. Illegal immigrants will free it. So the first thing that's wrong about this policy is to encourage illegal immigrants by providing carrots to attract illegal immigrants to this country,” added DeMaio. “Secondly, when the governor said he would be refunded by the federal government, we lied. Not that. It's hitting the General Fund.”
Demaio also discussed his early actions in Congress. He said the aim is to scrutinize and curb spending on what is called “goods” for illegal immigrants. His enquiries led to the removal from the Budget Committee, but his proposed move was retaliation for asking questions.
“They want to raise taxes. They want to cut services to their citizens. But when I was sworn into Congress, when I was only in work for eight weeks, I announced right away from the gate, we'll do California,” DeMaio said. “And one of the first things we did was do after spending on these merchandise for legal immigration. I started asking questions on the Budget Committee, and we dragged this out of the Governor's Budget Director on Live TV, which was then removed from the Budget Committee next week.”
Demaio said Democrats are now trying to shift responsibility to President Donald Trump.
“They don't want us to light up the wasted spending, and they're literally trying to clean this under the rug. The reality is that they're denounced the medical issues to President Trump. They made a press release this week saying that Trump is responsible. “They caused the problem. They need to be accountable.”
In January 2024, California became the first state in the United States to allocate taxpayer funds to provide health insurance to all low-income, undocumented immigrants. Prior to this policy, undocumented immigrants were limited to receiving emergency and pregnancy-related services only through Medi-Cal, subject to meeting certain eligibility requirements.
California Democrats are gradually extending MEDI-CAL coverage to include all low-income illegal immigrants, and it is expected that by December 2023, approximately 700,000 people will qualify for full coverage. State officials now say registration of illegal immigrants with MEDI-CAL is surpassing initial expectations.
All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation is an independent, nonpartisan newswire service that is free to use for legitimate news publishers that can provide large audiences. All republished articles must include logos, reporter signatures and DCNF affiliation. For questions regarding our guidelines or partnerships with us, please contact [email protected].