total-news-1024x279-1__1_-removebg-preview.png

LANGUAGE

Experts Sound Alarm After 89-Year-Old UK Man Dies Of Vitamin D “Overdose”

Experts recommend that adults maintain a level of 30 to “guarantee adequacy.” (Representative photo)

An 89-year-old man in the UK has died after taking an ‘overdose’ of vitamin D supplements for which he was not warned of the risk of overdosing.by new york post, retired businessman David Michener had high vitamin D levels when he was taken to the hospital last May. He was suffering from hypercalcemia, a buildup of calcium in the body that comes from taking too much vitamin D. He died 10 days later.

Members of the local medical community are now using this opportunity to warn the public about the risks of taking common supplements. The incident also prompted Surrey’s assistant coroner to release a report calling on regulators to require clear warnings on supplement packaging about the dangers of overdose. Exit report.

Coroner Jonathan Stevens said in his official report: “There were no warnings on the packaging detailing the specific risks or side effects of taking vitamin D supplements.” He added: “In my opinion, if we don’t take action, we risk future deaths.”

Mr Stevens has also written to the Food Standards Agency and the Department of Health and Social Care, asking them to require supplement manufacturers to print warnings on packaging.

In his report, he warned that vitamin supplements “can pose very serious risks and side effects if taken in excess.” He added: “Current food labeling requirements do not require these risks or side effects to be listed on the package.”

Remarkably, the 89-year-old reportedly had the highest levels of vitamin D in his body on record. post. His post-mortem report revealed that his vitamin D level was 380. This is the “highest level ever recorded by the institute.”

ALSO READ | Scientists devise new hack to cool warming planet by reducing vapor in the atmosphere

Medical experts recommend that adults maintain a level of 30 to “ensure adequacy.” As for dosage, her 600 international units (IU) is the recommended amount for most adults. According to the Mayo Clinic, taking more than the recommended amount can lead to an overdose.

David Michener first came to the hospital with hypercalcemia, or large amounts of calcium, in his body. This is usually caused by high concentrations of vitamin D. However, the coroner also cited congestive heart failure, chronic renal failure, hypercalcemia, and ischemic heart disease as contributing factors, pointing out that excessive supplementation was not the only cause of death. However, high levels of vitamin D were detected, leading the coroner to warn that “vitamin supplements can pose very serious risks and side effects if taken in excess.”

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Telegram
WhatsApp

SUBSCRIBE TO

Sign up to stay informed to breaking news