A federal appeals court on Wednesday dismissed former President Trump’s efforts to prevent former Vice President Mike Pence from testifying before a grand jury investigating the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol. .
Washington Post report The reasons behind the new order from the three-judge panel of the DC Court of Appeals for the Circuit remain sealed.
Earlier this month, the former president’s legal team appealed a judge’s order for Pence to answer Justice Department questions about Trump’s role on Jan. 6 and his efforts to impede the transition of power during the 2020 election.
Pence initially claimed he was protected from subpoenas by the “speech and debate” clause given his role as Senate Speaker at the time, but the former Vice President’s team later claimed that Pence was a Senator. He said he would not appeal the judge’s order, which he said would be. There is no need to testify for his role in Congress.
NBC News report Trump could appeal to the Supreme Court, but has not made clear his intentions.
Pence said last weekend that he would “tell the truth” and “follow the law” when he expectedly appeared before a grand jury.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.