A New York judge on Friday set a tentative November date for the retrial of Harvey Weinstein, the film producer charged with sexual assault.
Weinstein, 72, was convicted in New York in 2020 of raping and sexually assaulting actress Jessica Mann and forcing oral sex on a production assistant.
A New York appeals court overturned his conviction in April in a shocking reversal in one of the #MeToo movement’s iconic cases.
The court found that the judge erred in allowing the testimony of plaintiffs who had not formally accused Weinstein of assault.
During a brief hearing in a Manhattan courtroom on Friday, Judge Curtis Farber tentatively set a Nov. 12 start date for Weinstein’s retrial.
The judge said details of the trial would be discussed at a hearing on September 12.
Weinstein, who has had health problems, appeared in court wearing a navy blue suit and looking somewhat disinterested.
Prosecutors have said Mann is prepared to testify against Weinstein again and could bring additional sexual assault charges against the once-powerful film producer.
Weinstein’s New York conviction was overturned, but he remains serving a 16-year prison sentence for rape in California.
The defense team appealed last month, arguing for a retrial of the case as well.
The shocking allegations against Oscar-winner Weinstein came to light in 2017 and launched the #MeToo movement, a landmark for women fighting sexual misconduct.
Weinstein and his brother Bob co-founded Miramax Films.
Their hits included 1998’s Shakespeare in Love, for which Weinstein shared the Academy Award for Best Picture.