North Carolina officials on Thursday confirmed at least 91 deaths from Hurricane Helen's storms, but the number of missing and unaccounted for remains unaccounted for.
The deaths were reported across 20 counties, according to a Thursday afternoon update from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS).
The majority of deaths were reported in Buncombe, with 42 deaths, followed by Yancey and Henderson with 10 and seven each.
Debris from flooded homes from Hurricane Helen piles up on the roadside in Port Richey, Florida, on Tuesday, Oct. 8, as Hurricane Milton approaches. (AP/Mike Carlson)
NCDHSS told FOX News Digital that these deaths were confirmed by the North Carolina Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME).
NCDHSS said there is no number of missing persons at this time as there are various sources of information on where missing persons and welfare check requests were reported during the storm.
Political storm: Biden calls on former president to 'take his life' over Trump's 'false attack'
The North Carolina Department of Public Safety told Fox News Digital that efforts are underway to compile these numbers.
Workers, community members and business owners clean up debris in the aftermath of Hurricane Helen on Monday, September 30, 2024 in Marshall, North Carolina. (Javin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images)
“A wide area search has since been conducted,” Justin J. Graney, director of external affairs and communications for the North Carolina Emergency Management Agency, told FOX News Digital. [Hurricane Helen] happened. ”
“This included grid searches, vehicle searches, searches of damaged structures, and searches around areas where debris had gathered. Hundreds of responders conducted these searches,” Graney said. .
Graney said the local organization collects any information reported to local 911, NC 211 call centers, social media reporters, shelter occupancy information, and the EOC to help “someone report missing or if they ask.” We are currently trying to locate the person.” Have a welfare check conducted. ”
“Many of these types of situations are thankfully resolved as communication systems come back online and family and friends are able to connect again,” Graney said.
Hurricane Helen hit North Carolina late last month, bringing historic rainfall and devastating flooding to the North Carolina Mountains.
Hurricane Milton cuts a deadly path through Florida, leaving millions without power
Tens of thousands of electricity customers in the region remain without power, and some people, including residents of Asheville, remain without water.
FILE: North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper (right) and Federal Emergency Management Agency Director DeAnne wait for Democratic presidential candidate Vice President Kamala Harris to arrive for a briefing on the damage caused by Hurricane Helen at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. Criswell. , October 5, 2024, Charlotte, North Carolina (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)
On Thursday, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper signed the state's first relief package to address Helen's devastation, allocating $273 million for immediate needs and giving flexibility to officials and evacuated residents. .
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Almost all of the funding will be the state's share of the federal government's need to meet state and local disaster assistance programs. Other funds will be used in part to pay salaries for public school nutrition workers in closed schools and to help administer elections in battleground states in the coming weeks.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Bradford Betts is a breaking news reporter for Fox News Digital, covering crime, politics and more.