A longshoremen's strike that could have severely damaged the U.S. economy and supply chains weeks before the election has been suspended until January 15, in what could be a political disaster for Vice President Kamala Harris. A potentially dangerous situation was avoided.
“The union representing tens of thousands of East Coast longshoremen and the shipping industry have reached a tentative wage agreement that will extend their expiring contract until January 15, 2025.” announced politiko on Thursday.
“Effective immediately, all current professional activities will be suspended and all operations covered by the master contract will resume,” the union said on Facebook.
Strike threat could severely damage U.S. supply chains, dramatically impacting the economy ahead of November's presidential election between former President Donald Trump and Kamala Harris There is a possibility. After hearing news of the strike earlier this week, Americans began buying essential goods in a panic.
“We don't know how bad it's going to be, but we just had a hurricane hit the Southeast, and now our supply chain is going to be affected by this attack… It's better to be overprepared than to be scared. I think it’s good,” said the Fort woman. Worth, Texas, said in a social media post this week.
As Breitbart News reported, the threat of a strike loomed across the country and congestion at ports was already high.
“Container ship lines continued to form outside major U.S. ports on Thursday as the largest longshoremen's strike in nearly 50 years entered its third day,” the newspaper reported. “This chokepoint threatens shortages of everything from bananas to car parts, and is expected to widen in the coming days if no solutions are found.”
According to Everstream Analytics, “By Wednesday, approximately 45 container ships unable to unload were anchored outside strike-hit East Coast and Gulf Coast ports, ahead of the strike's start on Sunday. “This is an increase from just three ships in 2017,” he added.