WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – Technically, Paul Blackburn is in the spring competition, with the Mets saying three starters (including Griffin Canning and Tyler Megill) are competing for two spinning spots.
But Blackburn, who has come out of minor league options and has expired about $4 million this season, is a clear frontrunner.
His things and health are more important than his results, especially after he was scared at the end of last season.
On Friday, Blackburn was happy with his and his health, but his end result was poor.
Mets Righty pitched two scoreless innings before knocking in the third, finishing in 2¹/₃ innings, allowing 5 hits (including a pair of home runs) and 3 runs on two walks.
Blackburn is trying to hone his new sinkers and sweepers.
He felt good about his sinker until he “flatted to me” in the third of the Nationals when James Wood and CJ Abrams made his appearance at home.
“I'm a competitor. Blackburn, who finished the 2024 season when spinal leaks in my back needs to be repaired, said: “But I'm happy with where I am now and how I feel in my body. I feel ready to start the season.”
Manager Carlos Mendoza also felt positive about the start of Blackburn's fastball reaching 93 miles.
“I think it's a matter of how he felt physically good,” Mendoza said after a 5-4 loss to the Nationals at a park in Palm Beach.
Clearing the full exemption, Sean Reed Foley accepted his mission to Triple A. Syracuse.
The correct reliever could have declined and become a free agent, but he chose to stay with the Mets.
“I want to be here. I love this organization,” Reed Foley said. “When I got Tommy John, they were standing by me… I wasn't in nearly four years' working hours without the New York Mets.”
Reed Foley arrived at the 2021 trade, sending Stephen Mads to the Blue Jays, appearing in just 15 games in 2022 and '23 for elbow surgery.
He was healthy and excellent last season (1.66 ERA in 21²/₃ innings), but missed the final three months of the season (plus postseason) with a shoulder collision.
Reed Foley has found a bright side that has been removed from the 40-man roster. He hopes to be a little late in the spring and avoid another injury. He has appeared in one Grapefruitreug match.
Reed Foley previously said he had put a lot of pressure on himself to get healthy from camp and proved to them that they had led me this offseason and gave me that contract.
“There has been obviously a business decision.”
The Mets hope that Brandon Nimo (the pain of the Nee) can return to the lineup on Sunday.
Provides insight into everything about Amazin's
Sign up for Mike Puma's Mets Inside and get Sports+
thank you
The outfielder ran and received live batting on Friday.
Sterling Marte (knee) could make his debut, “probably at some point next week,” Mendoza said.
AJ Minter (hip surgery) threw his second live batting practice in the spring.
Last year's first round pick, outfielder Carson Benge, made his spring debut and hit the batting alone.