The victim of the Sbarro bombing in Jerusalem, who had been in a coma for 22 years, died Wednesday, becoming the third American to die in the attack.
Chana Natchenberg was 31 when a Palestinian suicide bomber targeted the Sbarro pizzeria on August 9, 2001, injuring more than 100 people.
Nachenberg, a New York-born dual citizen, was the 16th person killed in the attack, including seven children, the BBC reported.
Nachenberg was at a pizzeria with his 3-year-old daughter, who fled the attack physically unharmed.
“Twenty-one years and nine months after the Reut attack, my daughter passed out in a coma. [Rehabilitation] A hospital in Tel Aviv,” Nachenberg’s father Yitzhak told Hebrew-language media. “About three weeks ago she was in Ichilov Hospital, but tonight she died there.
The United States continues to seek the extradition of Alam al-Tamimi, a West Bank-born Jordanian woman who was convicted by an Israeli court in connection with the attacks.
Al-Tamimi was sentenced to 16 life sentences but was released in 2011 as part of a deal to release Israeli soldiers held by Hamas militants in Gaza.
After her release, she moved to Jordan but spoke openly about her involvement in the bombing, according to the Times of Israel.
The family of Marka Roth, a 15-year-old girl who died in the attack, continues to push for the extradition of al-Tamimi to US authorities.
Jordan last refused extradition in 2017, claiming that the extradition treaty signed between the United States and Jordan had never been ratified.
In 2020, the Trump administration considered withholding aid from Jordan because of this, but ultimately decided against it.
In a letter sent to President Biden to meet with him in 2022, the Rosses wrote that “clearly something has gone horribly wrong with the tracking of America’s Most Wanted Female Fugitive.” rice field.
“We would like to discuss this matter in more detail in an in-person meeting,” they said. “President, look us in the eye and show us how the King of Jordan can be a worthy ally.”
Al Tamimi remains on the FBI’s list of most wanted terrorists for conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction against American citizens.
The US State Department is offering a reward of up to $5 million for information leading to her arrest or conviction.
The US arrest warrant was issued in 2013 in secrecy and was made public in 2017.