Police Chase In Philadelphia Results In Shootout That Leaves 2 Officers, Suspect Injured

police lights. (AP photo)

OAN's Elizabeth Bolbelding
9:34am – Sunday, December 11, 2023

A suspected gunman involved in a police chase in Philadelphia sparks a shootout that leaves two police officers and a suspect injured.


Around 2 a.m. Sunday, officers were called to the area of ​​Cottman Street and Roosevelt Avenue in Philadelphia for a report of shots fired.

Arriving officers observed the pickup truck involved in the shooting attempt to flee the scene. There was a brief police chase involving two police cars and four officers.

The pursuit resulted in the suspect's pickup truck colliding with one of the police cars approximately five minutes later.

Officials said when the officers got out of the car, the suspect began firing shots. All four officers also fired their shots.

One police officer was injured in the head, and the other was injured in the face and leg.

“I fired! And I got shot. [expletive] face! ” one of the officers was heard saying over the police radio.

There were bullet holes in the suspect's truck. A truck owned by Sean Fish, who lives across the street, was also struck in the incident.

“Right below my car is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,” Fish said.

He claimed he was woken up by gunshots. He watched the whole thing from the second-floor window of his apartment.

“I watched for a while and then this guy came running into my room yelling, 'Get off, get off,'” Fish said.

Interim Police Chief John Stanford spoke with both officers, who are in stable condition at Jefferson Torresdale Hospital.

Stanford University declared, “It is a miracle that the two officers are alive.''

“By the grace of God, we are holding this press conference and can say that their condition is stable. They are extremely blessed,” Stanford said. “I said physically I'll recover, but knowing that I was shot in the head, I was shot in the face, it's still very heavy mentally and I'm just doing my job. only.”

The suspect is in critical condition. It remains unclear how many times he was hit.

The suspect's name has not yet been released, but he is believed to be a 40-year-old man with multiple firearms-related offenses.

Stay informed. Receive breaking news directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here.

Please share this post!



Sign up to stay informed to breaking news