total-news-1024x279-1__1_-removebg-preview.png

LANGUAGE

Prince Harry Loses Case Against UK Over Change In Personal Security Level

It is said that they will no longer be able to receive the same level of protection from public funds.

London:

Prince Harry on Wednesday lost a court case against the British government over the decision to change his security level during his visit to the country.

Charles III’s youngest son launched legal action against the government in February 2020 after being told he would not receive the “same level” of publicly funded protection while in the UK.

In his 52-page judgment, High Court Judge Peter Lane said: “The ‘tailor-made’ process devised for the plaintiffs in the February 28, 2020 judgment is legally sound. It is still legally sound.”

Prince Harry sensationally left the UK with his wife Meghan in 2020, eventually settling in California in the US.

The prince told a hearing at London’s High Court in December that security concerns were preventing him from visiting the UK again.

“Britain is my home. It is at the heart of my children’s heritage,” he told the court in a written statement read out by his lawyer.

“That can’t happen if we can’t keep them safe.

“I can’t put my wife at risk like that, and given my life experiences, I don’t feel comfortable putting myself at unnecessary risk,” he added.

Prince Harry’s mother, Princess Diana, died in a high-speed car crash in Paris in 1997 while trying to escape from paparazzi photographers.

Government lawyers denied claims that Prince Harry was “specially singled out” and “disadvantaged” or that a proper risk analysis was not carried out.

– Non-labor royal family –

James Eadie, from the Home Office, told the court it was determined that because Prince Harry had left active royal life and had lived most of his life overseas, he would not be afforded the same level of protection as before.

In May 2023, Prince Harry lost a bid for a legal review of another government decision to refuse permission to pay for professional British police protection himself.

The Home Office argued at the time that it was “not appropriate” for wealthy people to “buy” protection cover, despite determining that taxpayer-funded protection was not in the public interest.

The Metropolitan Police also objected to Harry’s offer, saying it was wrong for “a private citizen to pay a fee to put police officers at risk”.

This is one of many lawsuits launched by Harry.

Earlier this month, he settled a long-running lawsuit against the Mirror Group of Newspapers (MGN), which he accused of engaging in deceptive and illegal practices, but also with several other British media outlets. He has vowed to continue his legal battle.

Prince Harry is one of seven celebrities, including Elton John, who are suing the publisher of the Daily Mail over allegations of illegal information gathering.

He and actor Hugh Grant have similar claims that they were part of Rupert Murdoch’s global media empire, including the tabloids The Sun and the now-defunct News of the World. is suing News Group Newsletters (NGN), the publisher of “.

However, last month Prince Harry withdrew a defamation lawsuit against British newspaper The Mail on Sunday over an article about his legal battle with the British government.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Telegram
WhatsApp

SUBSCRIBE TO

Sign up to stay informed to breaking news