Split houses can complicate things, and that appears to be the case with the Red Sox and their acquisition of free agent Alex Bregman.
The Red Sox are among the teams considered to be a likely bidder for Bregman, but their pursuit is a little complicated because some within the organization aren't as bullish on Bregman as other teams. There is. According to MassLive.
According to the newspaper, Boston manager Alex Cora and team president Sam Kennedy are excited about the idea of bringing Bregman on board.
But Chief Baseball Officer Craig Breslow and the rest of the baseball operations staff have some reservations about the Gold Glove winner.
The exact reason for Breslow's hesitation is a bit of a mystery, but it may have something to do with his declining OPS over the past two seasons, from .891 in 2022 to .804 in 2023, according to reports. Last season, he hit .768.
Cora was on the coaching staff in Houston during Bregman's full year in the majors and saw firsthand what the infielder was capable of.
“He's a complete player. He's a player who's played on winning teams all his career, he's a good defender, he's really good offensively. He's a player that a lot of people are talking about and I'm I believe he can make an impact on a big league team, a championship level team. That's the type of player he is,” Cora told reporters at the winter meetings in Dallas on Monday. told.
Bregman is expected to sign a contract worth about $200 million over at least seven years.
Other teams expected to pursue Bregman include the Astros, where he has played his entire career, as well as the Yankees and Tigers.
Last month, he rejected a six-year, $156 million contract to stay in Houston.