No one was injured after gunfire was fired overnight at two Jewish schools in Montreal, police said Thursday, as tensions in Canada escalate over the Israel-Hamas war.
When staff arrived in the morning, they found bullet holes in the school door.
Earlier this week, a synagogue was firebombed in Montreal, and clashes broke out between pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel student groups at Concordia University, officials said.
“I understand that emotions are running high and people are scared, but we are not Canadians to attack each other,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said.
“If anywhere in the world we are going to start building the kind of understanding that is necessary for a peaceful solution to the Middle East problem…it starts in a place like Canada,” he said.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reported Wednesday that anti-Semitism and Islamophobia are rising at an “alarming” rate across the United States.
He said Canada has a long tradition of peaceful coexistence between diverse peoples, adding, “It’s the responsibility of each Canadian to see how we acknowledge each other’s pain and fear and move forward.” ”
Montreal police told AFP that no one was injured in the shooting at the Jewish school and the incendiary bombing of the synagogue.
At Concordia, one person was arrested on suspicion of assault after a scuffle, and three people were treated for minor injuries.
Administrators said the university, like other universities, is seeing an “alarming increase in intimidation and intolerant behavior” that is causing fear among students.
In another incident, a swastika was found in one of the school buildings, they said in a statement.
Yair Schulak, president of the CJA, a federation of local Jewish organizations, said attacks on Jews in Quebec are unacceptable.
“These are difficult times for Jews around the world,” he said. “There are people who want to bring the war going on in Israel to the streets of Montreal.”
Quebec Premier François Legault called for an increased police presence in the province. In response to a question from reporters, he said he would not rule out banning protests related to new Middle East wars.
The war in Gaza began after Hamas militants carried out the deadliest attack in Israel’s history on October 7, killing 1,400 people in Israel, mostly civilians, and taking about 240 hostages.
Israel responded with relentless shelling and escalating ground attacks in the Gaza Strip, killing nearly 10,600 people, according to the Hamas-controlled Health Ministry.
The first 75 Canadians and their dependents left Gaza this week.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)