Terrorism ruled out in deadly Kansas City Chiefs parade shooting as cops cite personal dispute

The shooting that left one person dead and nearly 20 injured at the Kansas City Chiefs’ victory parade was the result of a personal dispute that turned violent, and police say they have three people in custody who may have been at fault. authorities announced Thursday.

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves stressed Wednesday afternoon that the attack on the west side of Kansas City’s landmark Union Station had nothing to do with domestic terrorism or violent extremism.

Rather, the shooting “appeared to be an altercation between several people that ended in gunfire,” Graves told reporters at a news conference Thursday.

Two of the three suspects are juveniles. Graves said authorities have 24 hours to charge them or release them.

“We have a subject in custody,” Graves said. “It should be noted that we are working to determine the involvement of others and have recovered several firearms…This incident remains a very active investigation.”

Their bullets injured 23 people, including nine children, and also killed Lisa López Galván, an avid Chiefs fan and mother of two, who reportedly died from a gunshot wound to the abdomen. ing.

“She was the most amazing, beautiful person,” Lisa Lopez, a longtime friend (no relation) and executive administrative assistant in the newsroom, told The Kansas City Star.

Police remove the Kansas City Chiefs from the stage after a shooting at a Super Bowl victory rally in Kansas City, Missouri, Wednesday, February 14, 2024. AP
Injured people are helped near the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl III victory parade. AFP (via Getty Images)
People run away after being shot during a parade. AFP (via Getty Images)

The shootings marred what should have been a joyous celebration to commemorate the Chiefs’ recent Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

Hundreds of thousands of people gathered for the parade, which lasted until gunfire erupted and panicked crowds were hurriedly evacuated.

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves told reporters Wednesday that he was “angry about what happened today.” “Those who come to this celebration should expect a safe environment.”

“Because of a small number of bad actors, this tragedy occurred in the presence of uniformed law enforcement officers,” she said, adding that there were about 800 police officers in the area at the time of the shooting. It pointed out.

A video circulating on social media shows heroic Chiefs fans running up to a possible gunman and tackling him before he was taken into custody by police.



Sign up to stay informed to breaking news