.elementor-panel-state-loading{ display: none; }



8 injured in Massachusetts pop-up party shooting

Please subscribe to Fox News to access this content

You’ve reached the maximum number of articles. To continue reading, please log in or create a free account.

By entering your email address and pressing “Continue”, you agree to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, including the Financial Incentive Notice.

Please enter a valid email address.

Authorities said Sunday that a shootout broke out during a large youth gathering in Methuen, Massachusetts, leaving seven people shot and wounded and an eighth wounded while fleeing the scene.

Authorities said at a news conference that the shooting began just before 2 a.m. after hundreds of people gathered at a pop-up party organized on social media. The victims ranged in age from 17 to 22, and two were in critical condition.

Two killed, multiple injured in Texas shooting during Independence Day celebration

“This is another tragic case of gun violence that has united us this morning,” Essex County District Attorney Paul Tucker said. “Given the amount of ballistic evidence we are recovering, it is truly surprising that more people were not injured.” Methuen is about 28 miles north of Boston, on the New Hampshire border.

Eight people were injured in a shooting at a pop-up party in Methuen, Massachusetts on Sunday morning. (WCVB via The Associated Press)

Authorities declined to comment on the number of suspects. No arrests have been made and no weapons have been recovered.

Methune Police Chief Scott McNamara said authorities are monitoring other “hot spots” where such gatherings typically occur, but Sunday’s attack occurred in a new location and was the first incident that escalated into violence.

Click here to get the FOX News app

“Typically these gatherings involve loud music, disorderly behavior and sometimes drinking,” he said. “We try to take every precaution we can to try to discourage that behavior and we’ve been successful in that regard. Unfortunately, a tragic incident occurred here in Methun last night.”