Chicago mom left waiting hours for help after two masked bandits break into her home

A Chicago mother who called 911 during a terrifying break-in was left alone for hours, and the dispatcher told her to call her local representative to request more funding for police. .

Michelle called the emergency hotline six times after her encounter with the two masked robbers, only to be told by her nervous boss that the city was left with only a skeleton staff due to major budget cuts. It was just that.

“A gentleman came on board and said he was sorry, but we didn’t have any troops to send… Then there was an awkward silence.” Michel told NBC Chicago On Wednesday, the would-be robber declined to give his name or face because he was still at large.

Michelle called 911 six times after witnessing two intruders entering her home. NBC 5 Chicago

“He also encouraged me to call my alderman, and when I told him why, he said he would recommend that we hire more police officers. The dispatcher also asked if I would consider protecting myself.” Please, I also asked if I had a weapon or was considering getting one.”

Michelle said that after she let her dog out, two strangers came in through the open back door around 12:30 p.m.

They were also captured on surveillance cameras “peeping” into her property after climbing over a 6-foot-tall fence, but ran off as soon as they spotted the homeowner inside.

“I shouted, ‘I’m going to call the police,’ but the police got aggressive,” Michelle recalled.

The attackers flee.
The dispatch supervisor suggested that Michelle call her local representatives and request more funding for the police. NBC 5 Chicago

Michelle and her neighbor tried to chase the men before they kept their word.

The dispatcher assured the frightened mother that help would be on the way and told her to wait outside.

But police never arrived, Michelle said.

After calling 911 six times over an hour and a half, he finally got an answer from dispatch supervisors, who blamed the slow response on the city’s police department’s lack of funding.

It would be another two and a half hours before the police finally arrived.

“The officers that did show up were very considerate and apologized for taking so long to arrive,” Michelle said.

“I don’t think it’s the police’s fault that they’re overstaffed and overwhelmed.”

Chicago police told NBC Chicago that the delay in officers arriving at Michelle’s home may have been related to the priority list for routine 911 dispatch. There was no immediate threat to her life, so Michelle was left waiting while police addressed her immediate concerns. area.

Despite her frustration, Michelle took the advice of her dispatch supervisor, called the alderman’s office, and is waiting to meet with her in person.

“It’s terrible that our neighbors went through something like this. Everyone has the right to feel safe in their own home.”1cent Ward Councilor Daniel La Spata said in a statement.

“As soon as my staff heard about this issue, it alerted me and I have been in contact with Precinct 12 police leadership. We will continue to work with the city on proposed locations for the 12th Precinct Police Satellite.”