Chicago shooting kills 8-year-old girl, wounds 10 people: cops

CHICAGO — Eleven people were shot Saturday night while standing outside a family gathering, including a young girl who died in what Chicago police believe was gang-related violence on the city’s South Side, police said Sunday.

Four of the victims were children. An 8-year-old girl was shot in the head and died, and a 1-year-old boy and an 8-year-old boy were each shot multiple times and are in critical condition.

Police said Sunday that a 9-year-old boy was also hospitalized with a graze wound to his finger.

Chicago police stand at the scene where an 8-year-old girl was killed and 10 others injured in a shooting on the city’s South Side on April 13, 2024. Kyle Mazza/NurPhoto/Shutterstock

The department’s statement Sunday updated the number of shooting victims from eight to 11, compared to a news conference late Saturday, and also provided new ages for the victims.

No one was in custody Sunday.

The department’s deputy director, Don Jerome, told reporters Saturday that the shooting occurred around 9 p.m. when shots were fired into a crowd of people standing outside where a family had gathered.

“This was not a random act of violence. It was probably gang-related,” Jerome said. “The actions of these criminals are absolutely horrific and will not be tolerated in our city.”

Police believe the shooting was gang-related. Kyle Mazza/NurPhoto/Shutterstock

Police responding to the gunshot alert placed tourniquets and chest stickers on the victims, some of whom were adults between the ages of 19 and 40, Jerome said.

A 36-year-old man who was shot in the arm and back remains in critical condition.

Police said Sunday the other adult was listed in good condition.

The investigation was still in its preliminary stages, but witnesses told police that a black sedan approached, someone fired shots into the crowd and then fled, police said Sunday.

Four of the shooting victims were children. Kyle Mazza/NurPhoto/Shutterstock

Jerome told reporters Saturday that some witnesses described seeing two possible gunmen on foot.