.elementor-panel-state-loading{ display: none; }
total-news-1024x279-1__1_-removebg-preview.png

LANGUAGE

SELECT LANGUAGE BELOW

Jocelyn Nungaray murder: 2nd illegal immigrant suspect gets $10M bail, woman yells at him in courtroom

The second of two suspected illegal immigrants accused of killing 12-year-old Jocelyn Nangaray last week and then abandoning her body in a Houston bayou had his bail set at $10 million on Tuesday during an emotional court hearing in which a woman in the gallery called him a “murderer.”

Johan Jose Martinez Rangel, 22, appeared in Harris County Criminal Court hours after District Attorney Kim Ogg told Fox News that “the evidence is clear that sexual assault likely occurred” in the capital murder case. Co-defendant Franklin Jose Peña Ramos, 26, had his bail set at $10 million on Monday.

During Tuesday’s hearing, a woman repeatedly yelled “murderer” in Spanish. When she was ordered to leave the courtroom, she yelled, “Show me my face,” according to Fox News correspondent Nate Foy. Nungaray’s mother, Alexis Nungaray, who had called the suspects “monsters,” stared down Martinez-Rangel as he left the courtroom.

“We obtained Martinez Rangel’s cell phone and found evidence that he was seeking a way to leave the country after his image was released to the media,” Harris County Assistant District Attorney Megan Long said after Tuesday’s hearing.

“The evidence is clear that a sexual assault likely occurred,” prosecutors say

Franklin Jose Peña Ramos (left) and Johan Jose Martinez Rangel are charged with murdering Jocelyn Nungaray on Monday, June 17, in Houston. (Harris County Jail)

If Martinez-Rangel posts bail, the judge told him he will wear a GPS monitor, be under house arrest in Harris County at all times and have no contact with his co-defendant, Peña Ramos, or Nungaray’s family, among other restrictions. The judge said any violations could see him back in state custody. Peña Ramos was also subject to the same restrictions on Monday.

Ogg previously told Fox News’ America’s Newsroom that concerns the suspects were flight risks led to the high bail amounts.

“It’s clear from the evidence that a sexual assault likely occurred,” she said. “Neither defendant has actually admitted to it, so that has to be proven circumstantial,” she said. “We’re currently waiting on the results of the test to see if the murder charge can be upgraded to a capital offense.”

Mr Ogg described the incident as “horrific” and said Jocelyn’s “final moments were indescribable.”

“She endured the assault for several hours. She sneaked out of the house to call her 13-year-old boyfriend and was seen by two migrants who had been drinking all afternoon. They picked her up and presumably asked her for directions, but she was innocent,” Ogg added.

The suspected illegal immigrant accused of killing Jocelyn Nangaray was wearing an ice ankle monitor.

Image by Jocelyn Nangaray

This week, 12-year-old Jocelyn Nangaray was found strangled to death in a creek in Houston. (Courtesy of Fox Houston and the Nungarei Family)

“She left with them, and footage taken from a local store shows them luring her under a bridge near Houston Bayou, assaulting her, strangling her and dragging her body into the water,” Ogg added.

During Peña Ramos’ court appearance on Monday, it was revealed that at the time he allegedly killed Nungaray, he was wearing an ankle monitor that had been issued to him when he was arrested by Border Patrol agents after crossing the border illegally and released from custody.

Video images of Johan Jose Rangel Martinez, 21, and Franklin Jose Peña Ramos, 26, and images of Jocelyn Nungaray

Video images of Johan Jose Martinez Rangel, 22, and Franklin Jose Peña Ramos, 26, and an image of Jocelyn Nungaray. (Courtesy of Houston Police Department, Fox Houston and the Nungarei Family)

Click here to get the FOX News app

In a statement to Fox News on Friday, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement said the suspect “illegally entered the United States at an unknown date and location without being inspected, paroled or admissible by US immigration officials.”

Fox News’ Michael Lee and Nate Foy contributed to this report.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Telegram
WhatsApp