total-news-1024x279-1__1_-removebg-preview.png

LANGUAGE

Maui fire victims’ families could now receive up to $1.5 million in compensation

The families of those killed in last year’s Maui fires could receive up to $1.5 million in compensation if they choose not to sue state authorities or the companies involved.

Governor Josh Green (Democratic) announced: Press conference Six months have passed since a wildfire broke out in the tourist town of Lahaina, killing 100 people and forcing many more to evacuate.

The One Ohana Initiative is a $175 million endowment with contributions from the State of Hawaii, the County of Maui, Hawaiian Electric Company, Kamehameha Schools, Charter Communications, Hawaiian Telecom, and West Maui Land Company.

“The 100 people lost all had families, and if they chose to accept the $1.5 million settlement that would be paid to each family in a voluntary manner, we would have raised $175 million. ” Green said.

If families choose to participate, the funds will be distributed starting March 1 and rolled out over three months. This donation will go to families who have lost loved ones or been seriously injured in the wildfires.

Mr Green said in the future he would like to establish a fund to help people who have lost their land or businesses. The fire damaged or destroyed more than 2,000 buildings and burned more than 2,000 acres, according to the Federal Emergency Management Association.

Green said the funds will go to the victims’ families first because “that’s the first place we feel the most compassion should be.”

Greene initially announced in November that a $150 million relief fund would be established to support the families of the victims, with each payout amounting to nearly $1 million. He did not say why the total amount of incentives each family could receive was increased.

The fund is modeled after the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, which gave more than $7 billion to families of victims of terrorist attacks.

If the family agrees to a settlement, they would agree not to sue the partners who invested in the fund, including Hawaiian Electric, the utility company believed to be responsible for the wildfires.

Multiple lawsuits against the company by victims and property owners are ongoing.

green stated in the press release Relief efforts will now shift to focus on long-term housing solutions to provide “stability and a sense of normalcy” to the approximately 10,000 displaced people.

Copyright 2024 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Telegram
WhatsApp