NYC bouncer stabbed patron to death during bar brawl: cops

A bouncer has been charged with manslaughter at a Brooklyn bar after allegedly stabbing a rowdy bar patron to death during a brawl over spilled drink money on the street, authorities and sources said.

Darryl Dawkins, 37, was stabbed to death just outside the Catch-22 bar on Third Avenue near 73rd Street in Bay Ridge just before 3 a.m. Saturday, April 7, according to the NYPD. Maurice Hartridge, 43, was arrested in connection with the incident.

NYPD Chief of Detectives Joseph Kenney told reporters last week that Dawkins, a former Brooklyn resident who had moved to Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania, had been hanging out at the bar for “a significant amount of time” before the trouble began and had met “a number of women. “I was trying to buy him a drink,” he said.

Darryl Dawkins was stabbed to death by a bouncer at a Brooklyn bar, police and sources said. facebook/rock star
A man was stabbed to death at the Catch 22 bar on Third Avenue and 73rd Street in Brooklyn. GN Miller/New York Post

Kenney said he claimed he paid for drinks he never received.

“At some point, he started arguing with a female bartender about the bill,” a police source said. “He got to the point where a male bartender came over and asked him to cool off a bit. He refused. At this point, the bouncer decided to take him outside.

“At one point [in] “The very grainy video shows him swinging at one of the bouncers and it appears there was a physical altercation,” Kenny added. “Then I saw him fall to the floor with one stab wound to his upper left chest. [that] It hit the heart and aorta. ”

Hartridge, who lives in the Bronx but works as a bouncer at a Brooklyn hotspot, was “the last person with whom Dawkins had physical contact” before he fell to the ground, according to the criminal complaint. .

Dawkins “made a punching motion” toward Hartridge, and the bouncer grabbed him and pushed him backwards, according to the complaint.

Footage from a nearby surveillance camera showed the victim on all fours after being stabbed, as bystanders slowly gathered around him.

Officers found the victim with injuries to his torso and rushed him to NYU Langone-Brooklyn, but he did not make it in time, authorities said.

Dawkins claimed to have paid for drinks he never received, according to the NYPD’s chief of detectives. GN Miller/New York Post

Dawkins was ordered held on $50,000 cash bail or $100,000 bail, according to the DA’s office.

He is next scheduled to appear in court on Friday.

Neighbors previously told the Post the bar was known for being rowdy.

“This place is always crazy and there are always arguments outside,” said a female resident.

Mr. Dawkins was killed just before 3 a.m. on April 7. Gregory P. Mango

Several other local residents echoed the woman’s remarks, shouting at the building that the city “must shut this place down.”

Moses Alhusaini, 39, a manager at the M&S Minimarket across the street, told the Post he had witnessed many problems at bars during the pandemic, including “crowds fighting in that place.” said.

“It was crazy very often, but it’s under control now,” he said. “The owners take this issue very seriously, which is why I’m shocked to see this now.”

A day after the deadly attack, a bartender at the watering hole declined to comment to The Post.