Migrant who swiped FDNY vessel, sail boat for joyrides is freed without bail — and immediately strikes again: witnesses

The boat boy is back at work again, but they can’t even send him home.

A homeless immigrant who was arrested while playing on a historic FDNY fireboat and then tried to climb back on board a yacht for a leisurely ride was released without bail on Friday, but immediately boarded a larger ship in Manhattan. Sources said he tried to get on board. My hands are tied.

Juan Hernandez, 22, of Ecuador, was arraigned Friday morning by Judge Marva Brown for allegedly embarking on a rough trip down the Hudson River aboard the former FDNY-owned John J. Harvey early Thursday morning. Released, he then boarded a yacht in Chelsea and went on another excursion.

By noon Friday, the boat robbery suspects were back on the streets and attempted to board the Frying Pan, workers and owners said. The Frying Pan is a 133-foot lightship that boasts a popular floating restaurant at Pier 66.

Suspected boat thief Juan Hernandez, 22, of Manhattan, was charged Friday with attempting to board yet another boat. Obtained by New York Post

An employee at the ship’s bar said she spotted Hernandez trying to board the barge through the gate and confronted him.

“I was like, ‘What are you doing here?'” said the worker, identified only as Mario. “I told him to leave. He started talking shit and ran away.”

Angela Cravey, co-owner of Pier 66 Maritime, said an aspiring first mate claimed he had forgotten his passport on the bright red ship that resides at Pier 66.

“The sailor thief is back,” she said. “He was very belligerent. … He demanded to come on a barge.

“We called the police. They said they couldn’t do anything because he was a free man,” she said, calling the repeated boat-centered incidents puzzling.

“There is no passport on the plane,” she added.

The suspected boat thief allegedly went for fun on the John J. Harvey Fireboat on Thursday. robert miller

It was not immediately known whether Hernandez would be charged in connection with Friday’s incident.

“If he was charged with two counts of grand larceny, why was he released from prison?” Cravey said Thursday of Hernandez’s illegal high seas travel. “I don’t understand this city, I really don’t.

“I want my city back,” she added.

Eric Fisher, Frypan’s vice president, said Thursday that employees recognized Hernandez from media reports about his accident.

Workers said Hernandez tried to slip through the gates of Chelsea’s Pier 66 on Friday. robert miller

“We thought this was just going to be a one-day news story. [We] I never imagined he would be acquitted of two counts of grand larceny, but here we are,” Fisher said.

He was referring to the state’s soft bail reform law, which requires Hernandez’s crimes to be considered nonviolent and requires a judge to release him without bail.

Hernandez is believed to have entered the United States illegally in 2022 via El Paso, Texas. After he was arrested, he at one point missed a hearing in immigration court in Boston and ended up in the Big Apple, law enforcement officials revealed. He said.

He was charged Thursday with two counts of grand larceny after he floated aboard a 130-foot fireboat, became stranded and jumped onto a J/80 yacht owned by Hudson River Community Sailing School. .

He was released without bail and was back on the streets.

Officials say New York judges have a “non-cooperation agreement” with federal immigration authorities at ICE, according to state regulations, and even after such arrests, legal scholars say they can’t bring immigrants like Hernandez to federal authorities. This means that they cannot be detained.