SELECT LANGUAGE BELOW

California activists in a flotilla sent away for attempting to reach Gaza

California activists in a flotilla sent away for attempting to reach Gaza

Bay Area Activists Deported Following Gaza Protest

A group of activists from the Bay Area was involved in a protest aimed at Gaza but found themselves detained by the Israeli military while in international waters. They were subsequently deported to Turkey.

More than 400 activists, part of the Global Sumud Flotilla Organization, had their ship seized by the Israeli Navy on Monday.

Reports indicate that several individuals from the Bay Area, along with families of former San Francisco residents, were on that ship, which was deported to Istanbul on Thursday.

Those detained reportedly include North Bay residents Gregory Elias Terry, Kelly Riggle, and Silas Bieber, as well as former San Francisco resident Logan Hollersmith.

“The Israelis kidnapped these people in international waters,” said Sydney Holler, the mother of Holler-Smith, expressing her outrage.

In response, lawmakers from California are urging the U.S. government to ensure the safe return of the activists to the United States.

“Three of my constituents in the Spring 2026 Global Sumud Fleet were reportedly detained by the Israeli Navy in international waters while attempting to deliver humanitarian aid to civilians in the Gaza Strip,” Congressman Jared Huffman mentioned on X.

He further stated, “I call on Secretary Rubio and the State Department to ensure their safety and fair treatment.” Huffman emphasized that the U.S. has a responsibility to protect its citizens abroad and is committed to bringing them home safely.

The convoy had set off from southern Turkey with the intention of delivering humanitarian aid to Gaza when they were intercepted by Israeli forces. Earlier this week, video surfaced showing Israel’s Minister of State Security, Itamar Ben Gvir, mocking the detained activists and making claims regarding their treatment in custody.

U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee criticized Ben Gvir’s comments, asserting that he undermined the dignity of the nation.

The detainees are anticipated to remain in Turkey for several days to receive medical attention before making their way back home.

“We are really relieved to have him back, but it’s crucial to keep the spotlight on the need to stop the genocide,” Holler said, indicating that the focus should remain on the mission of the convoy.

This marks the second instance this year that the convoy has faced suspension, following an earlier incident in April when a convoy that included Swedish activist Greta Thunberg was also seized.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Telegram
WhatsApp

Related News