NYC mother had seizures due to tapeworm larvae infection in her brain

A New York mother who endured seizures for more than a decade and attempted suicide during one severe seizure was found to have tapeworm larvae in her brain.

The 32-year-old woman was taken to the emergency room at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center in Queens after having suicidal thoughts due to persistent seizures, doctors wrote in a case study. Published in Cureus Journal of Medical Science.

After a CT scan, doctors discovered she had neurocysticercosis, a parasitic infection caused by tapeworm larval cysts lodged in the brain.

The 32-year-old woman was hit hard financially by the attack and even considered suicide. Cureus

Ingestion of food or water contaminated with tapeworm eggs often causes nausea and vomiting. Tapeworm eggs can be transmitted through human poop if hands are not washed. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention I warned you.

Researchers say the woman, who immigrated to New York City from Guatemala several years ago, had endured at least two seizures a week since she was 18 years old.

Biweekly attacks have left him unable to hold a regular job, and two years ago, the patient’s finances were ruined and he was forced to overdose on prescription drugs. Recently, she was afraid to hold her newborn daughter because of her fear of dropping her daughter during her seizures.

person washing hands at kitchen sink
Proper hand washing can help prevent the spread of tapeworm larval cysts. Thales –

“Seizures are [were] they are very weak [were] Dr. Jake Smith, a psychiatry resident at Jamaica Hospital and lead author of the case study, told the Post.

“Without proper finance and support, everything falls apart and it becomes very difficult to live a normal life.”

Doctors at Jamaica Hospital gave the woman the anti-parasitic drug albendazole, and the seizures began to stop, Smith said.

Although neurocysticercosis is “preventable,” about 1,000 people are still hospitalized with the disease each year in the United States. Many people suffering from this disease are from countries where the disease is endemic, such as Latin America and the CDC. I got it..

Earlier this year, a 52-year-old Florida man discovered that his severe migraines were actually caused by tapeworm larvae living in his brain. He contracted the larvae when he ate undercooked bacon.