total-news-1024x279-1__1_-removebg-preview.png

LANGUAGE

Orioles acquire Cy Young Award winner Corbin Burnes in wake of sale of team

The Baltimore Orioles are still going strong after winning 101 games and posting 10-digit sales last season.

The O’s announced Thursday that they have acquired 2021 National League Cy Young Award winner Corbin Burnes from the Milwaukee Brewers in a trade.

Barnes has been one of the best pitchers in the game for many years. Since 2020, his 2.86 ERA is the lowest of any pitcher with at least 500 innings, and his 11.1 K/9 is the second-best in baseball.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Corbin Burnes of the Milwaukee Brewers pitches in the first inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks in Game 1 of the Wild Card Series at American Family Field in Milwaukee on October 3, 2023. (John Fisher/Getty Images)

Over the past four seasons, Barnes has finished sixth, first, seventh and eighth in the National League Cy Young Award race.

Barnes has been named an All-Star in each of the past three seasons.

This is a huge boost for a rotation that was somewhat mediocre last season. The O’s starting pitchers had a combined 4.11 ERA last season, ranking 11th in the majors. And Kyle Bradish has stepped up significantly, lowering his ERA from 4.90 in his rookie season in 2022 to 2.83 last season. John Means is also expected to play the full season after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

The Orioles won the division last year with 2023 Rookie of the Year Gunnar Henderson and 2022 runner-up Adley Rutschman on their backs. They also have baseball’s top prospect Jackson Holiday on the wing, who is expected to be the team’s starting shortstop on Opening Day.

In return, the Brewers will receive shortstop prospect Joey Ortiz, left-handed reliever DL Hall, and the No. 34 pick in this year’s MLB draft.

Corbin Burnes pitches against Reds

Corbin Burnes of the Milwaukee Brewers throws to a Reds batter during the first inning, Friday, July 14, 2023, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Aaron Doster)

The deal came two days after news broke that John Angelos had died. sell the team It was sold to hedge fund owners David Rubenstein and Mike Arrogetti for an estimated $1.725 billion. Cal Ripken Jr. will also be part of the new ownership group.

Former MLB star recalls confronting Mets’ famous announcer after negative press: ‘Start rooting for us’

Rubenstein and Arrogeti will initially buy 40% of the franchise and are expected to buy the remaining 60% later. The estimated timeline for completion of the deal remains unclear, but MLB owners are likely to be briefed on the pending deal at next week’s owners meeting.

Angelos purchased the Orioles from venture capitalist Eli Jacobs for $173 million. Since he has recently become incapacitated, his son John has taken over as the organization’s primary leader.

Corbin Burnes hyped

Corbin Burnes of the Milwaukee Brewers reacts after recording a strikeout in the third inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks during Game 1 of the Wild Card Series at American Family Field in Milwaukee on October 3, 2023. . (Stacy Revere/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Milwaukee also non-tendered Brandon Woodruff earlier this offseason, and their rotation decisions are in the spotlight even after winning the National League Central Division by 9.0 games in 2023.

But they still have Freddy Peralta and Wade Miley at the top of the rotation, and they signed slugger Reece Hoskins to a two-year deal earlier this offseason.

FOX News’ Chantz Martin contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital X sports broadcast and subscribe Fox News Sports Huddle Newsletter.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Telegram
WhatsApp

SUBSCRIBE TO

Sign up to stay informed to breaking news