total-news-1024x279-1__1_-removebg-preview.png

LANGUAGE

Remaining wrongful death lawsuit filed after deadly Astroworld concert has been settled, lawyer says

One wrongful death lawsuit filed following a crowd crush at the 2021 Astroworld music festival that left 10 people dead has been settled, lawyers announced Thursday.

Jury selection in the lawsuit brought by the family of 9-year-old Ezra Brandt, the youngest victim killed at a Travis Scott concert, was scheduled to begin on September 10.

Astroworld tragedy: everything you need to know

But S. Scott West, an attorney for Brandt’s family, said a settlement had been reached this week.

Blunt’s family had filed suit against Scott, the festival’s promoter Live Nation, the world’s largest live entertainment company, and other companies and individuals connected to the event, including Apple, which livestreamed the concert.

Travis Scott performs during day one of the Astroworld Music Festival at NRG Park in Houston on November 5, 2021. Following the fatal crowd crush at the 2021 Astroworld Music Festival that left 10 people dead, one remaining wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of 9-year-old Ezra Brandt, the youngest person killed during the concert, has been settled, lawyers announced Thursday, May 23, 2024. (Amy Harris/InVision/AP)

“As our family continues our journey of healing, we will never forget the joy Ezra brought to those around him,” West said in an email.

Ezra’s father, Treston Brandt, said his son was sitting on his shoulders during a concert on November 5, 2021 when he was crushed by the audience. Treston Brandt lost consciousness and woke up to find Ezra gone. A frantic search ensued, and Ezra was found critically injured at a Houston hospital. The Dallas native died a few days later.

The lawsuit filed by Brandt’s family was one of 10 wrongful death civil lawsuits filed following the deadly concert.

Earlier this month, lawyers announced that nine other wrongful death lawsuits related to the concert had been settled.

Terms of the settlement in all 10 cases were confidential.

The settlement of the lawsuit filed by Brandt’s family was first reported by the Houston Chronicle.

Lawyers for Live Nation, Scott and others have declined to comment on the case due to a gag order that restricts them from speaking out of court.

Approximately 2,400 injury lawsuits filed after the fatal concerts remain pending. More than 4,000 plaintiffs have filed hundreds of lawsuits after the Astroworld crowd crush.

As the crowd surged, participants were packed so close together that many could not breathe or use their arms. The dead ranged in age from 9 to 27, and experts say they died of asphyxiation, similar to being crushed by a car.

Earlier this month, state District Judge Kristen Hawkins, who is presiding over the case, scheduled the first trial on the assault count for Oct. 15. The trial would focus on seven assault counts. It was unclear as of Thursday whether that trial date would remain in place or be brought forward because of the Brandt settlement.

So far, no cases have gone before a jury. A wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of 23-year-old Houston resident Madison Dubisky was set to go to trial earlier this month but was postponed and then settled.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs in the lawsuit argued in court documents that the deaths and hundreds of injuries at the concert were the result of careless planning and a lack of attention to the event’s capacity and safety.

Click here to get the FOX News app

Scott, Live Nation and the other groups sued have denied the allegations, saying safety was their biggest concern. They say what happened was unforeseeable.

After a police investigation, a grand jury last year dismissed charges against Scott and five others connected to the festival.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Reddit
Telegram
WhatsApp